Many years ago, before we had children, Lyman asked me to play chess with him. I knew the basic rules but hadn't played in years. Due to a derogatory comment about my playing ability ("Don't quit your day job"), I vowed never to play chess with him again.
But playing with my children is another story. DJ was in a homeschool chess club a few years ago and he and I are on about the same playing level - advanced beginner. I have a hard time abiding by the suggestion of finding three moves before making one. Anyway, on with the story...
Today I made good on my goal to play with my children more. I asked DJ if he wanted to play chess with me. It was hilarious game, which I won by chance more than skill. Lyman was a spectator at the end and could hardly keep from offering advice. The loser ended up in tears, and immediately challenged a less-skilled competitor, 5 year old Gwennie. Alas, that game broke up in tears before there was a winner.
I guess my next goal should be to teach the kids about good sportsmanship. And to make sure they eat regularly so their blood sugar levels will be more evened out. One goal at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment