Sunday, August 31, 2008

The End of Summer

Summer has come to and end here in the valley of the Great Salt Lake. A big storm is dropping rain as I type this. This will make up for the dry summer we've had.


Earlier as the cold front was passing, I took a photo looking east toward the Wasatch Front. The only front visible is the cold front. This could be Erie. Gray, and no mountains visible. I'll try to remember to take a picture Tuesday after the storm passes so that a comparison to clear skies can be made. Update (9/1): I've added the clear sky picture and also a close up of the mountains with snow on the peaks (below).







This is a fairly early end to summer in comparison to recent years. Now we wait to see if winter arrives early. I remember 1985, when I was a sophomore at East High. At the end of September, it snowed and it didn't warm up. The PE coaches decided to take all activity inside that year until the spring. I wasn't too pleased. I doubt winter will arrive in September but I would not be surprised by an early winter in, say, mid-October this year.


No comments: