Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


One of the biggest issues to work out in a marriage is learning what your spouse expects and trying to live up to said expectations. I am happy to say Lyman and I are making great strides in this area. He knows when my birthday and Mother's Day are approaching to ask me what I want for gifts, if I want breakfast in bed, etc. I don't have outlandish requests, so I usually get what I ask for. This arrangement works great on the flipside as well.

A few days ago I asked Lyman what he wanted for Father's Day, what his expectation were. He said, "I don't know, nothing really." So I got away with making breakfast a little fancier - french toast with strawberry sauce AND powdered sugar - and an unwrapped CD from one of his favorite bands (Collective Soul). I did buy a couple of Father's Day cards, one from me, one from the kids, but they aren't signed yet. I also made him a yummy chocolate banana shake tonight. (Actually, I made it for me, but since it was 5+ cups of shake, I decided to share rather than save half of it for later.)

Just so there is no doubt, I want the world (or at least those that read this blog) to know that I love my husband dearly. I get such a kick out of watching him interact with our children. His methods are so different than mine. I admire his patience and gentleness. I love the little songs he makes up for the kids. They each have their own. Besides all that, he is intelligent, funny, and usually willing to follow all the directions I give him. I knew I had a winner when, before we were married, I told him I wanted 12 children and he was okay with that. I have the best Father for my children that I could ever hope for!!!

1 comment:

Rosemarie Horne said...

So cute Jen, I love you! We all knew you were a winner before you got married too! I hope I can find as great a guy as you did!
-Rose